Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Global Village Day

U-S-A! U-S-A!

Can I be honest? The first time I heard the phrase “Global Village Day” I didn’t pay much mind. Seriously, what is that? "Global Village" sounds waaay too much like something Hilary Clinton would say, so I shutter instinctively.

Belgian Crazies!

I was wrong. Today was Global Village Day at ISA. OK, no kidding, it was great. GVD was a masterpiece of scheduling, infastructure, and dedication; but let me start with the basics. According to the 2010-11 annual report The International School of Amsterdam is home to students from more than 20 nations. GVD is an annual celebration of those cultures.

Well over 1000 people in attendance!

A festive combination of native customs, dance, dress, food, and legend, GVD is a collaborative effort of school officials, students, and parents. The day started with an assembly of both the upper and lower schools and included students, staff, and community members. For most of the first hour, groups of students and parents performed ethnic songs and dances. It was awesome.

Bonsai!

Each performance had merit, not the least of which was the verve required to stand and deliver in front of more than 1000 people. From kindergardeners to high school seniors they demonstrated the heritage of which they are made. The show started with the eclectic group of performers from Israel. (If the producers of Glee don’t call the girl in the front, it’s their loss.) Dance after dance demonstrated the pride our children and their families possess. The choreographed performance of Japanese students was nothing short of magnificent.

It was nice of the Queen and Prince Phillip to drop by

The dance portion was followed by the parade of nations. From face paint to ethnic costumes, the paraders strutted their heritage in an rousing display. I must say that the crowd reaction to the contingent from the good ole USA was downright heart-warming. I contributed my part, that’s for sure.

Painting in Portugal

The afternoon featured dozens and dozens of classroom presentations. As you might imagine, it was literally impossible to see them all (although the administrators tried their level best). My class was scheduled to visit presentations from Great Britain, Japan, Poland/Ukraine, and Portugal/Brazil. The classroom presentations were all very different, but extremely engaging as well. My boys and girls did everything from “the Olympic games” in Great Britain to “origami sumo wrestling” in Japan. We listened to a national legend in Portugal and played “football” in Poland.

Origami Sumo Wrestling!

When my time at ISA ends, I will not soon forget the Global Village Day.


3 comments:

  1. Really cool experience. Two questions:
    1) I was curious how USA represented themselves as in song, dance, and classroom presentation.
    2) How was something that large put on? Was it the parents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although the USA had the largest contingent of paraders, they did not perform a song or dance. Because my class was not scheduled for the USA classroom presentation I didn't see it; however some of my kids were chosen to interview the USA folks to help create a website account of GVD. I did stop by the USA room as they were cleaning up. (American students make up almost 20% of the student body, the largest single membership, followed by Dutch kids at about 19%.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, parents were largely responsible for the songs, dances, and classroom presentations. School personnel handled the scheduling.

    ReplyDelete