Friday, February 17, 2012

You never really know who you’re talking to; do you?

When I met the different women on my team at ISA I couldn’t know (but would soon find out) just how different and just how talented they are.

Lisa V, Heidi, Helena, Jay, and Lisa vM

Helena. Helena’s my favorite, but don’t tell the others. I think it’s her very British habit of asking a question at the end of statements. (It’s cool but you have to be British to pull it off. If you’re southern or Canadian, it’s just irritating. Need examples? He’s a good one; isn’t he? That’s the one; don’t you think? It’s British. Just watch House Hunters International; all them Brits do it. I think the government makes 'em do it or something.) Anyway, Helena is my age and you know what they say about misery loving company. Besides that, she has the most difficult assignment on the team. As a teacher of students for whom English is a second language, Helena earns her money. Gotta love ‘em, some of her students have the toughest row to hoe. Take my Kouhei for example; here’s a guy from Japan who spoke his first word of English last August! Thanks to Helena, Kouhei is flourishing!

Heidi. I wonder if Heidi knows how talented she is. Younger than the others, and although Heidi is in her second year at ISA, this is not her second year in education; and it shows. She's energetic. She's bold. She's awesome. Her orchestration of reading and writing workshops is the foundation of her contributions to grade five. What I appreciate though is her candor. Heidi’ll tell you the straight dirt. I like that.

Helena, Heidi, and Lisa V

Lisa V. You never really know who you’re talking to; do you? Did I know when I met Lisa that she is ISA’s resident expert on visible thinking? No, but it didn’t take long to find out. Did you ever meet anyone and think “I should be more like that person”? Lisa’s like that. She is kind and conscientious. She's generous; and she cares. When I speak to Lisa, I know she's listening; really listening. There is something to be said for people who genuinely care. When Lisa checks on me, I just feel better.

With Lisa vM

Lisa vM. The least conspicuous of the bunch is most aptly described as the most apt. The longer I work near this woman, the more I wonder why she’s there at all. I am incredulous that she hasn’t been snatched up by the school’s administration because there is not a job from top to bottom that Lisa vM couldn’t do; and do very well. Organized and forward-thinking is a fabulous combination. Because that most appropriately describes her, Lisa keeps our team surging forward. Thank goodness for Lisa vM.

No comments:

Post a Comment